Idaho® Potato and Eggs with Smoked Salmon, Crème Fraiche and Chives
- For Potato Cakes
- 2 3/4 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes Pâte À Choux Dough (see below)
- For Pâte À Choux Dough
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 whole eggs
Final Prep to order
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
4 whole eggs
- To Plate
- Smoked Salmon, cut into ribbons
- Chives, pegged (for garnish)
- Caper Berries, sliced
- Crème Fraiche, whipped
- Place the diced potatoes into a saucepan and cover with water. Add 2 tablespoons salt to the water and place onto high. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Strain the potatoes and place onto a cookie sheet. Place into a preheated 350° F oven and allow to dry for about 15 minutes. When dry, remove from oven and pass through a fine sieve. Place the sieved potatoes into a mixing bowl and add the Pâte À Choux Dough, chives, salt and pepper.
- Spread a layer of the potato mixture in a round mold 4-inches in diameter and 1/2-inch high. Place this, with the mold, onto parchment on a cookie sheet and place into the freezer. When the potato is firm but not totally frozen, remove from the freezer and remove the mold.
- Using a 1 3/4-inch cutter, cut a hole in the center of the potato cake. Place this back into the freezer until firm.
- Set up a breading station using flour, whipped eggs and fine breadcrumbs. When the potato cake is firm, remove it from the freezer and bread it. Place the breaded potato cake into the refrigerator to thaw before cooking.
- Pâte À Choux Dough
- Bring water, butter, salt and pepper to a boil in a 1-quart heavy saucepan, then reduce heat to moderate. Add flour all at once and stir briskly with a wooden spoon until mixture pulls away from side of pan, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add the eggs 1 to the dough mixture 1 at a time, stirring well after each addition to incorporate the egg before adding the next one. Allow to cool slightly before adding to the diced potatoes.
Final Prep Steps
- Place a teflon pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons clarified butter. When hot, add the breaded potato and cook until golden and crisp. Flip the potato onto the other side. Crack one egg into the center hole in each potato cake. Place a lid on the pan and allow to cook for 1 minute. Turn off heat and let stand for an additional minute until egg is cooked and potato cake is crisp on this side.
- Remove from pan and place the smoked salmon ribbons, chive pegs, sliced caper berries and whipped crème fraiche on top.