Add a little whimsy to your Halloween table with these vegetable puff mummies. Puff pastry filled with a flavorful vegetable mixture (including Idaho® potatoes!), wrapped like a mummy and baked until crisp. This vegan appetizer will have your guests swooning!
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red chili (substitute with paprika)
- a pinch of ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- 1/4 cup corn kernels, cooked
- 1/4 cup carrots (tightly packed), grated finely
- 1/4 cup green peas, cooked
- 1/2 cup Idaho® Russet potato, cooked and chopped
- A small splash of lemon juice
- A handful of cilantro, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 1½ sheets puff pastry
- 1 tablespoon milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 12 corn kernels (for eyes)
- Heat oil in a small skillet and once warm, add cumin seeds.
- Add chopped onions and bell pepper with a pinch of salt and cook until slightly soft and fragrant.
- Season with all the ground spices (turmeric, red chili, cumin, garam masala) and sauté until the spices start to smell toasted.
- Add the remaining vegetables (corn, carrots, peas, and potato). Stir well to combine the spices with the vegetables.
- Continue cooking for 2 minutes on medium heat. Adjust salt and spices to taste.
- Remove from heat and add a drizzle of lemon juice. Let cool completely.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro. Set aside.
- Thaw out the puff pastry sheet according to package instructions. Roll out with a rolling pin to smooth the crease. It should now measure 9.5" x 11".
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Line a small baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut the pastry sheet into 4 squares. 1½ sheets will yield 6 pieces.
- Draw a light crease to divide each piece vertically into thirds. Spoon about 2-3 teaspoons of filling in the middle.
- Cut the outer thirds into thin strips. Brush the ends with a little milk.
- Fold the strips over each other, alternating left and right. Stretch the strips to reach the other side and tuck it under. Remember to leave a space for the eyes.
- Place two corn kernels for eyes. Brush with milk.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 400°F/200°C for 15-20 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm.
The mummies can be re-heated back to crispness in a 200°F/90°C oven for 10 minutes.