Blue Cheese Potato Croquettes
- 3-3/4 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled
- 6 ounces (3/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 6 ounces (3/4 cup) heavy cream
- 4 ounces (1 cup) Maytag blue cheese, crumbled
- 1-1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup cooked, finely chopped spinach, chilled (or 6 ounces frozen, chopped, thawed and squeezed dry)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- about 4 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- Flour for dredging
Anchovy Aioli Ingredients:
- 6 anchovy filets
- 2 cups prepared aioli or mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook potatoes in lightly salted boiling water until tender. Cool, then put through a ricer to make a fine, even texture.
- Heat butter in a skillet or saucepan and lightly cook garlic. Add cream and heat just until warm. Stir into potatoes to make a smooth mashed potato. Cool.
- Stir in blue cheese, panko crumbs and spinach. Season with salt and pepper.
- Portion the potato mixture into 1-ounce balls. Chill for easier handling if desired. Toss about 6 balls at a time in a bowl with the flour. Shake off excess flour then dip into the egg. Roll in the panko.
- Deep fry in small batches. Season with salt. Keep warm or prepare to order.
- Stir together Anchovy Aioli ingredients. Serve with warm croquettes.