Potato Chicken Pipian
- 12 cups hot water, divided
- 3 Yukon Gold Idaho® potatoes, chopped in eighths
- 5 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 8 dried guajillo chiles, tops and seeds removed
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds (with shell)
- 1 cup peanuts, raw and unsalted
- ¼ cup yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 corn tortillas, torn in large pieces
- 1 ½ cup toasted sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 -1.5 pound cooked whole chicken, in parts
- 1/3 cup roasted pepitas for garish
- In a large stockpot combine potatoes and 5 cups water. Boil for 12 minutes until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat, drain, discard water and set potatoes aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over low-medium heat.
- Add dried chiles, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, onion and corn tortillas. Fry, stirring constantly for 15 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender container, add sesame seeds and water, one cup at a time. If your blender is small, work in batches. Blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to skillet and heat over low medium heat. Add pipian sauce mixture to pan and cook for 5 minutes.