The idea behind this was to let the Idaho® red potatoes shine in an American potato salad with Spanish influence. One of my favorite Spanish dishes is Galician octopus with red potatoes simply dressed with olive oil and smoked paprika. I blended the flavors of this dish with a classic American salad.
Idaho® Red Potato Salad
- 30 whole Idaho® red potatoes
- 1½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
White Anchovy Dressing
- 6 fillets white anchovy
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 5 grams parsley leaves
- ¼ cup golden balsamic vinegar
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup blended oil
- 3 heads butter lettuce, cut in a fine chiffonade
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- kosher salt, as needed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup capers
- 60 (¼˝) slices of pickled okra
For the Idaho® Red Potato Salad
- Set an immersion circulator to 85°C.
- Divide the potatoes into 6 vacuum bags and add ¼ teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon olive oil to each bag.
- Vacuum seal and cook sous vide for 75 minutes.
- Chill the potato bags in an ice bath when finished.
- Once cooled, use a 1˝ ring mold to cut cylinders from the longest side of each potato. Slice the cylinders into ⅜˝ medallions and keep chilled.
For the White Anchovy Dressing
- Add all the ingredients except oil to a food processor and blend.
- Slowly emulsify in the oil and chill.
- Arrange ¼ head of lettuce chiffonade at the bottom of a plate.
- Arrange 9 potato circles on top of the lettuce.
- Very lightly sprinkle smoked paprika on top of the potatoes, then drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil and season lightly with kosher salt.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of dressing on top of the potatoes.
- Garnish with 1 teaspoon capers and about 5 slices of pickled okra.